10 Questions Answered about Math Workshop (FREE File)
Do you have questions about how we plan and structure our math workshop? We often get asked about this so I wanted to take a few minutes to see if I can answer the top 10 questions we get about math workshop.
1. How do you organize the curriculum?
We like to use binders...ALL the BINDERS! Each unit fits nicely in a small 1" binder.
2. What does a typical lesson look like?
- Fluency practice (5 mins) *more on this later in the post.
- New concept introduction mini-lesson (5 mins)
- Whole group explore (10 mins)
- Student application (5-10 mins)
- Share (5 mins)
3. Is it aligned to the standards?
Yes, we have gone to great length to be certain the skills included in the CCSS and the TEKS have been covered. Each unit contains approximately 20 days of instruction.
You can find the curriculum map and binder spine by clicking HERE.
4. How do you display your math vocabulary wall?
As each word is taught, it is added to our math word wall. These words are discussed at length before they go on the wall. We don't want this wall (just like our sight word wall) to turn into wallpaper.
5. How do you address fluency?
Each day we start with a fluency warm up. This is a five-minute activity...